Bringing Home a Shelter Dog

Let me introduce to you my dog, Bear.  

Bear Dog Rhodesian Ridgeback pet

He is a 1 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback mix with a lot of energy.  I found him at the local Humane Society.  They told me he was a stray and no one ever came to claim him.  They also warned me about how much energy he had.  

Getting an adult dog from the shelter can be risky.  They may have a temper, they may not be good with kids or other animals, or they may have had a rough past that causes them to have aggression issues.  But they can also be wonderful, amazing, loving, cuddly, fun family dogs. 


But how do you know?

I would recommend meeting a few different dogs.  Talk to the people at the shelter and let them know what kind of dog you're looking for, and what your lifestyle is like.  They will suggest a few for you to meet. When you're looking to adopt a dog, there are a few things you want to look for before deciding to bring your new friend home.  

1. How does he act around new people?

Watch what the dog does the very first time you meet.  If he comes right up to you, tail wagging, and sniffs or licks you, this is a sign of a comfortable easy going dog.  

If the dog moves slowly, acts timid or even growls, this dog is apprehensive about new people.  They may have had a negative experience in the past causing them not to trust right away.  Don't count this dog out, they may just take a little while to fully trust you.  

If your furry friend comes around the corner barking and growling, teeth bared, and pulling on the leash, he may not be ready to be your furry friend.  This dog may need some more time to be rehabilitated before going home with a family. 


2. Does the dog let you take his toys?

If he let's you take his toys, especially right from his mouth, this dog is most likely not an aggressive or territorial dog.  He is laid back and respects you.  This is an important trait to look for, because this dog will be safer around kids and other dogs.  He understands that he is not the boss, you are.  

If the dog becomes aggressive in any way, growls or barks when you take his toys, this dog may be dangerous around children who don't know any better and try to take a toy or food.  


3. How does this dog react around kids or other dogs?

Sometimes a dog can be one way with adults, and be completely different around small children and other animals. This is always important but may be more important if you have small children and animals in your home.  Bring your kids and pets to meet the dog.  See how they interact.  Does the dog let the kids handle him? Can the kids touch his tail or run around without the dog getting upset or too hyper? Watch closely to body language to see how the dog is feeling.  Here is an article on dog body language by Cesar Millan.  


Before I brought Bear home, 

I looked for all of these things to make sure he would fit into my life.  He was wild and crazy at the shelter because he had separation anxiety and wasn't getting enough exercise.  But when he met me, he ran up to me with his tail wagging and the first thing he did was lick me.  He let me take toys right out of his mouth, and let me rest my arm on his back. He also sat and waited patiently for me to throw the ball.  These were all great signs of a relaxed, respectful dog.


He needed a lot of attention and training.  He learbed his name quickly but had issues with coming when called, jumping on people, and chasing cars.  Although he wasn't perfect right away, he has become a well-mannered dog who enjoys cuddling, treats, and running around outside off leash.  Since I've had him, he has calmed down substantially and has learned manners and a few commands such as sit, lay down, shake, stay, and wait.  He acts very gentle around kids and small puppies, and gets excited and playful when it's appropriate.  


Later, I will tell you what methods I used to train my dog and make sure he was ok around children.

Thanks for reading! If you have a dog, tell me about them in the comments section! 






Comments

Popular Posts