Should I Use A Bit Or Bitless?

There is lots of debate in the equine world about Bit vs Bitless.  


Some claim you need a stronger bit when your horse gets fussy, and then there's those who say any bit is cruel.  

Some show horses are restricted by the required tack in their discipline.  But if you have the freedom to choose bitless, I encourage you to try it out.  You may find that your horse is more comfortable and has more fun! but you may also find that they don't listen and misbehave. 

But you never know until you try!




Bitless is a more natural approach to horsemanship and it can be more comfortable for your horse.  There are many different kinds of bitless bridles, so do your research before picking one.


This is a Side Pull Bosal Attachment for a headstall


There are so many different kinds including this side pull, so look at the pros and cons of each one.

Using a bit is the traditional way of riding and many horses have no problem with it at all.  Some will only listen to their rider if they have a bit in their mouth.  There are also many different bit styles so choose this carefully as well.  Some are more gentle and some more harsh.  


So it all comes down to personal preference and your horse.  What does your horse want or need?  What do you prefer?

I prefer a bitless so even on my horse that has no problem with a bit, I often just ride in a halter with reins clipped to each side.

That is your answer.

Below is a bosal I bought for my mare who HATES having a bit in her mouth.



 


I bought this Bosal Hackamore about a week ago and absolutely love it! It looks great, fits great, and works great.  My mare responds well to it and we look good too!  It easily attaches to the headstall I already had, and has loops for my reins to clip onto.




LOVE LOVE LOVE it and can't wait to see who else tries it out and loves it!


Below are some other great Bosal Hackamore options that were in my shopping cart before deciding on the one I purchased.



   
















Western Bosal Bridle 




 

 Fine Horse Showman Bosal


What are your thoughts on Bit vs Bitless?

Tell us what you think in the comments section!


Thanks for reading and subscribing to Homestead In The Hills Blog!


Comments

Popular Posts